ABOUT CAMP MENDOCINO
Camp Mendocino is an outdoor education and environmental awareness program owned and operated by Boys & Girls Clubs of San Francisco.
Our mission is to enable and inspire all young people, especially those from disadvantaged circumstances, to realize their full potential as productive, responsible, and caring citizens. We surround our kids with positive role models 24 hours a day to provide the love and encouragement they need to realize their full potential.
WE BELIEVE THAT YOUNG PEOPLE WILL ACHIEVE EXTRAORDINARY THINGS WHEN THEY ARE PROVIDED WITH HIGH-QUALITY PROGRAMS AND FACILITIES IN AN ENVIRONMENT THAT PROMOTES RESPECT, RESPONSIBILITY, AND FUN
WHO COMES TO CAMP?
Over 900 campers experience Camp Mendocino each summer with approximately 175 campers in each session. We are proud of the community that Camp builds, as evidenced by the hundreds of campers that return to Camp each year.
Traditional campers are aged eight to 14. Teens between the ages of 15-17 will be eligible to apply for the Leaders-in-Training (LIT) program. After participating in the LIT program, teens between the ages of 16-17 can then apply to be a Counselor-in-Training (CIT). Learn more about our teen programming.
Approximately 40% of our campers are members of Boys & Girls Clubs of San Francisco, the other 60% come from all over the Bay Area, and a few come from different states or countries!
Camp Mendocino is an Accredited Camp through the American Camp Association (ACA) ensuring that current practices at Camp Mendocino reflect the highest and most up-to-date, research-based standards in camp operation.
For more information about ACA Accreditation, contact our Camp Director or visit the American Camp Association website at www.ACACamps.org.
Camp Council is a focus group that brings together campers, LITs and staff to brainstorm and plan a variety of different activities, programs, and ways to make Camp Mendocino an even better place to spend your summer. During the summer, members of the Camp Council will also meet with the Assistant Camp Director for Programs and Program Directors to discuss how Camp is going as well as assist with Camp events.
year-round camp program
The Camp2College (C2C) program, a year-round program for teens, was developed in response to a need for a more year-round connection between our highest performing Leaders in Training (LITs) and Camp. C2C is a program for teens that excelled in the LIT Program, preparing them for a post-secondary education or a defined plan for after high school. The program focuses on their future and looks to assist in preparing them for next stage of their lives.
The C2C program provides Camp Mendocino teens with educational and professional opportunities both inside and out of Boys & Girls Club of San Francisco. Teens attend monthly workshops covering topics ranging from college applications to transcript evaluations to different careers. Teens also have access to Camp and BGCSF staff as a support system.
The Camp2College (C2C) program strives to develop our young teens into the future leaders of tomorrow.